Getting a tune-up for your heating system is a little like getting a tune-up for your car. It helps ensure trouble-free operation and peak performance. At Scott Energy, we recommend that every system get a tune-up once a year, no matter the age of the unit, because an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
We strongly encourage you to schedule this preventive maintenance as soon as possible in the fall every year.
So what exactly is a heating system tune-up? We’re glad you asked!
When your Scott Energy technician comes to your home, he’ll be conducting a thorough inspection, cleaning and testing of your heating system. Here’s a partial list of the work that will be performed:
- Overall examination of the system from a preventive maintenance perspective.
- Visually inspect accessible areas of oil tank including legs, leg brackets and fittings.
- Inspect and clean fuel circuit including oil filter and fuel pump.
- Clean and inspect electrodes and nozzle assembly; replace nozzle.
- Clean and inspect flue pipe and draft stabilizer; visually inspect chimney.
- Vacuum and inspect accessible areas of heat exchanger and chamber.
- Test all limit controls; verify proper operation and safety timing.
- Perform complete combustion test and record efficiency rating.
A tune-up not only improves the reliability and efficiency of your system, it can also reduce fuel consumption and emissions.